I usually like to think of myself as an optimist but I think knowing what to look out for and what not to do is almost as important as knowing what to do. Here are 5 things that will most likely result in failure, and though I encourage everyone to embrace failure and lear from it, I think that it still pays to avoid it whenever possible.
1. Assume that something can’t be too easy – If its an opportunity that requires little effort it will most likely yield little reward.
2. Go against the grain blindfolded – It’s great if you want to do things differently but you need a plan. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel just because you want to, reinvent it because the blockhead who made the first prototype used an oval.
3. Bank on your social media networks – Just because you have 1000 friends on Facebook doesn’t mean you have 1000 customers. Your personal connections will probably want little to do with any kind of business promotion you start to push on them.
4. Assume that your idea is different – Someone has had the same idea as you before so don’t bank on that for success. The way you execute your idea is what will help you succeed.
5. Confuse advice and knowledge – There is a big difference between what someone thinks you should do and what someone knows you should do. Make sure you are taking the time to identify one or the other before you act on it.
Read More about why the right kind of failure isn’t always a bad thing.